Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I See You In a Different Light

I have a secret. I LOVE to thrift!!! Okay maybe that wasn't such a secret :)
Last Thursday, on my 30 minute lunch break from observing at the high school, I ran over to the Texas Thrift Store. Side note, I have to admit the first time I set foot in this place I thought it was disgusting, smelled funky, and it looked like a total junk pile! So anyone familiar with this place....yeah I know. But I have learned to love this store! And they have changed management so I think its a much nicer atmosphere.
But anyways. Thursday they were having a 50% sale on electrical stuff. And that's when I saw it.

                              (confession: I forgot to take a picture prior to installation)

It was marked $7.99 but with the discount I paid under $4 (tax included) for a light fixture! A LIGHT FIXTURE! I love the textured glass globe and the bronze finish. Love it! I replaced the light fixture above my kitchen sink with this baby. For those of you who don't remember, my previous fixture was an ugly, builder grade light that I hated the minute I walked in the house. Seriously. So while my husband took a nap with the pups, I learned how to remove an old light fixture and rewire a new old vintage light fixture without electrocuting myself. Hooray!
           

                                                 (can you see see its ugliness? It had to go!)

So i didn't exactly take pictures of the entire process but I did follow this handy dandy tutorial that helped me with nearly every step of the process:



I say nearly because on my new light fixture, the wires were both the same color, so I had to sort of "test" which wire went where. And voilĂ ! No need for an electrician! **Prior to starting this process I turned off the switch things that keep the power on. Hmmm, my mind just blanked, but I think you guys know what I am refering to. Very important!!! Turn off the power before disconnecting wires!!!**

-And here is my beautiful pendant light after:





                              Yes! That is my deer head over the TV! Thanks for noticing :)                             

(This is from the same angle as the before picture.)

And it totally works!! Didn't even need to buy a new bulb. You can't beat that with a stick! Lucas still needs to get used to it. But I LOVE it!! And, while the pictures don't completely do it justice, having a pendant light in that spot totally makes my ceilings look even taller! Or maybe it's just me :)

1 comment:

  1. I love love it! :)
    I can't believe you only paid $4 for that.
    I'm going to post pictures of our new bed soon. stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete