Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Craigslist Economics

One month later and I am back! Sorry for the hiatus. I really need to buckle down and post more regularly like Bethany at My Life in Words :)  So here's what I've been doing the past month: enjoying my summer break, going back to school for a 4-week summer class (currently in session), and enjoying the new HGTV shows, Home by Novagratz, and Season 6 of Design Star!! (If you haven't started watching it.....START!) Oh yeah, and wheelin' and dealin' on Craigslist :)

So this is the headboard I purchased 2 years ago from Craigslist, of course.


I liked the shape and style of it but as the room started coming together I decided I wanted a more substantial bed or a taller headboard. Two days after finalizing this decision, the headboard was posted on Craigslist and a few days later it was sold to the sweetest girl who was ecstatic to purchase it :) Then I spent another month debating about whether to buy another bed I found on Craigslist. After throwing out a few offers and checking the posting nearly every day I finally bought this king size bed frame. (Pics are from seller's craigslist posting).




Okay so before you start forming opinions, know that the rounded headboard is no more. It is gone, 
annihilated, destroyed. I just wasn't feeling it and thankfully neither was Lucas.
I either want to frame out a taller, more sculptural headboard, or leave it as a four poster platform and hang a sunburst mirror at the head of the bed.

I do not have any after pictures yet because the bed is waiting to be sanded, primed, and painted with a color I have yet to choose. So feel free to leave comments. Any suggestions are appreciated! I actually want to paint it a pale greenish-blue hue but for some reason Lucas isn't inspired at all my inspiration picture. He can't stop focusing on the national geographic looking pictures. sigh.



So that is my current project. Oh and here is a breakdown of cost:

Old headboard (purchased 2 years ago): $60
Old headboard sold on Craiglist: $70    Buy low sell high! :)  I recognized a good value when I bought the headboard, and even though I planned on keeping it, I knew if I needed to sell it I could definitely make my money back. 
New bed: Originally listed for $165, purchased for $120    Don't be afraid to make an offer! ESPECIALLY when the listing says o.b.o.

So actually after selling my old heaboard I only paid $50 out of pocket for my new bed! Love a good deal like that. I'll be posting more about the status of my bed as I work on getting it beautiful for the bedroom :)

1 comment: